When Erik Klipping and other medieval kings held Danehof parliament sessions at Nyborg Castle, the castle and its other buildings were larger than previously thought.
Nyborg Castle’s west wing - the Royal Wing - grew considerably during its more than 800-year history. Now, archaeologists have found a foundation made of granite boulders that lies crosswise to the existing castle, marking the romanesque northern end of that wing. The original building’s size is thereby established at 30 metres, 3 metres longer than previously assumed.
The Museums of Eastern Funen are well underway with archaeological excavations of the cellar under Nyborg Castle, to find out, among other things, more about the romanesque palatium or palace, which was built in the early 1200’s against the western ring wall. This is a building where decisive events took place in Denmark’s Middle Ages, such as countless sessions of the Danehof parliament, the signing of the first Danish constitution and the sentencing of the last Danish regicide (murderer of a king). The palace still stands, though it has been altered and expanded many times.
The palace’s original foundation to the south is still visible in the brickwork. It was previously excavated by archaeologists. However, the northern gable has never been found and elucidated. It is therefore a fortunate development that the museum’s archaeologists have found the northern gable, in the cellar of the Royal Wing. It would appear that the building is not 27 metres long, as previously thought, but a bit more than 30 metres. This establishes the western palace as the castle’s largest stone building, 3 metres longer than the northern wing, which is no longer standing.
In the picture, the location of the original romanesque gables from the 1200’s is marked in red.