Nyborg Church, or the Church of Our Lady, as
it is rightly called, was built during the years 1388-1428 and was
consecrated to Mary, the mother of Christ, on Pentecost Sunday,
1428 by Bishop Navne Jensen Krigebusk.
The oldest part of the church is the wall with
the four windows to the west, which in the early 1400's was bounded
on the east side by a north-south running wall. Before 1428, the
church was extended with the section with two windows on the east
side, the church's apsis and, in all likelihood, the three burial
Around the time of the Reformation, three
combined burial chapels were built on the south side of the church,
under one roof. King Christian III had the church expanded in the
1550's with an extra aisle on the north side, extending the full
length of the church. The big west tower and the smaller east tower
were finished around 1600. The Church of Our Lady was a 5-aisled
church until 1870.
In 1870-71, most of the side aisles were torn
down under the direction of the architect, Tvede. This gave the
church its present exterior.